Oakshott Colourshott Diamond Runner

Oakshott Colourshott Diamond Runner by Amy Friend

I’ve had so much fun with this project! Every time I get to work with Oakshott, it is such a gift. The fabrics are so deep and beautiful and they have this amazing sheen that just sets them apart from regular quilting cottons. This always makes me hesitant to make the first cut because I want to make sure I am going to like the outcome. It took me awhile to mull over what I wanted to do with the 10″ squares of Oakshott Colourshott but I think the time spent thinking was worth it. I love the finished runner.

Oakshott Colourshott Diamond Runner by Amy FriendI used a paper pieced block of my own design to make diamonds that appear to be improv pieced.  Why paper piece then instead of improv piecing?  Well, that’s a good question. I certainly could have done it that way but I sort of wanted each diamond to be broken up the same way to create a bit of a pattern in my design.  Also, because I had mapped out how I was breaking up each diamond, I was able to cut way back on fabric waste.  When I improv piece, I waste a lot fabric and I wasn’t going to waste any of my Oakshott!

Oakshott Colourshott Diamond Runner by Amy Friend

I asked for quilting suggestions on Instagram. I knew I wanted to densely quilt in the Kona Putty background sections. I was thinking of simple straight line quilting at the time.  I have Jess to thank for suggesting this quilting design that mimics the piecing. I used my free motion quilting foot and straight line quilted as straight as I could to create triangular sections filled with matchstick quilting.  She had such a great idea…thanks Jess!

Oakshott Colourshott Diamond Runner by Amy Friend

I bound the runner with an Anna Maria Horner print that is two tone in the pinkishy plum colors that are prevalent in this Oakshott collection.

If you are looking to purchase Oakshott, you can get on the mailing list to be notified of sales, etc. by going here. One of my sponsors, Marmalade Fabrics, also offers a collection of Oakshott Fabrics in her shop.

I have been asked if I will provide a pattern for this design and yes, I will, as soon as I can get it all together.

disclaimer

Comments

1. this is stunning Amy.

2. Just beautiful. Oakshotts take any project to the next level I think. I love the putty–I should stock up on some of that.

3. Kathleen O'Grady says:

Gorgeous, bright and very rich looking! Great job!

4. Judy Tucker says:

Spectacular! Your triangular quilting pattern is an added element in the piece and takes it to another level. Looks like you took your table runner for a photographic walk! I especially like the photo on the tree!

5. Love seeing your finished runner! It is gorgeous! Looking forward to purchasing your pattern when you have time to get it finished. I’ve got a stack of Kaffe Fassett shot cottons that I’d love to use. I’ve never seen the Oakshots in person, but the photos are surely beautiful!

6. Very very pretty. It looks like closeup of an stunning necklace!!!
    Esther

7. your runner turned out fabulous! love the colors (of course)…but i really love how you quilted it. 🙂

8. Love seeing the whole runner! It is stunning, Amy!

9. Beautiful!

10. Margaret says:

a wonderful table runner so colourful a delight to see

11. I saw this on Flickr and Intstagram– love what you came up with! The quilting is exquisite and I admire you for cutting into the Oakshott! It’s funny, it is hard to cut into, but oh so forgiving. Perfectly set off by the putty Kona. I really love this 🙂

12. Nancy P says:

Amy, it really does look stunning!! It is a nice way to finish it all off…..you are very talented!!

13. Oh, it’s so bold and bright and love the quilting ~ spectacular!

14. Jeannie says:

I like you used paper piecing. Takes away that out of control look. This is really beautiful and the binding choice was perfect!

15. Wow, what a gorgeous quilt. Your quilting perfectly compliments the pieced triangles.

16. Simply wonderful! Quilting is a great addition to this fresh design.

17. Mary Truax says:

Thank You for introducing me to Oakshot. I had never seen it before. The rich colors remind me of irridescent taffeta which is usually polyester. The paper pieced diamonds are perfect and I can visualize them in quilts, totebags, and clothing. Good Work, Amy!

18. I really like the contrast in colors and quilting! Nice job.

Trackbacks

1. […] Friend (of During Quiet Time) set about devising a contemporary design that helps the Colourshott fabrics vibrate, that develops […]