Around Easter time, I bought enough of Anna Maria Horner’s voile to make a couple of summer things. I had exactly a yard and a quarter left of the Coloring Garden voile in the rose color and a coordinating voile solid. I really wanted to make something wearable that I would enjoy. When I saw Florence’s skirt, I knew I wanted to try it. It was based on a lovely skirt from Crafterhours.
I hadn’t done shirring before, and now I am likely to find it hard to stop! It is so fun and I love the look. I used Florence’s wonderful tutorial and it worked like a charm. My skirt is lined in the solid voile which I made one inch shorter. I used French seams for the side seams.
I did have some trouble figuring out what width panel I needed to cut in order to get the correct waist measurement. I finally settled on double my waist measurement and then used a hot iron to shrink it up a bit more. Even so, it is slightly loose fitting and can be pulled down to sit on my hips.
The extra skirt for Lily was the icing on the cake! I had enough left from the width of the fabric after cutting out my panels to cut one for her. I still have just enough scraps for a little patchwork project at some point. I get very disappointed if I finish a project with no scraps!