Merlin Costume

Amy Friendcostume, Sizzix, Therm O Web, Thermoweb8 Comments

Merlin Costume by Amy Friend

My son approached me with a 3 inch tall plastic figure of Merlin, the main character in a series of novels he is enjoying, and asked if I could make him a Merlin costume for Halloween. I couldn’t say no….it was going to be cool!

For the basis of the cloak, I used McCall’s pattern M5952 cut to a size 10 with about 4 inches cut off the length to prevent tripping while Trick or Treating.  If you choose to try this pattern, I would say that it runs big.  Timothy normally wears a size 12-14.  I did not put on the hood and instead used bias tape to finish the neck.  Rather than having it tie at the neck, I added Velcro. It’s less likely to come undone and smoother under his beard.  (The beard is purchased and the hat was a party favor from a magic themed party my daughter went to last fall.)

The fabric I used for the cape is polyester and the stars are a metallic poly/cotton blend.


I didn’t really care to edge stitch around countless star appliques.  I used them all over the front, back, and sleeves of the cape and with all that stopping and turning it would have taken a long time. I don’t like to spend too, too long on costumes since they aren’t worn for long or many times.  I decided that HeatnBond UltraHold was the way to go.  Because you don’t need to use a high heat, it worked well with these polyester materials. I fused it to the back of the metallic and then sent it through my Sizzix to cut multiple stars, about 4 at a time. I used the Stacked Star Die.


Then I simply fused them into the cloak.  They were easy to do and added a lot of pizzazz!  No sewing is needed with the UltraHold.

I’m also sharing this post on the Thermoweb blog today.