Are you intimidated by paper piecing but really want to learn? This is the block of the month for you! This design was loosely inspired by embroidery samplers which are designed to teach different embroidery stitches and allow for practicing them through repetition. In this quilt, each block was designed to teach various paper piecing skills. I have even added optional videos this year as another way to help you learn. Foundation paper piecing is my favorite quilting technique and I want you to love it too. I created these blocks to ease you in gently, and threw in a little traditional piecing too.
No, you do not need to be a new paper piecer to enjoy this BOM. As an experienced foundation paper piecer, I very much enjoyed sewing these blocks. While I think that the videos would be the key to success for a beginner. If you are an advanced paper piecer, you may be fine without them but might pick up some new skills with them! I share my tips for fabric placement and cutting and how to avoid fabric waste.
What will you get if you purchase only the PDF downloads?
1. 10 block patterns and basic directions for their assembly. These assume a general knowledge of quilting and paper piecing.
2. A Welcome PDF that you can download immediately containing fabric requirements, and some helpful tips.
3. A fabric organizer, found at the end of the Welcome PDF.
4. Instructions to complete a 60″ x 72″ quilt by the end of December 2022.
New instructions and videos will be available on the first of each month throughout 2022, except for August. I am giving you both July and August to complete the Y Stitch section because there is a lot of piecing, and it’s summer! You will access all of these through a password protected page on my website. I will also remind you to log on through a newsletter and by posting on Instagram and Facebook.
December will focus on quilt top assembly.
What can you expect from the add-on videos?
1. 10 videos walking you step by step through each block making the quilt achievable for the paper piecing novice. These go hand in hand with the downloadable PDFS.
2. The videos include all my tips and tricks for paper piecing.
3. I explain how I decide to cut my fabric, and how I place it while paper piecing.
4. There will be tips to help even those who routinely paper piece.
I used a beautiful color palette made up of Art Gallery Pure Solids for my sample quilt. I am thrilled to be offering kits through the Fat Quarter Shop.
To find the quilt kits click here.
To find the backing kits click here. The image above shows the beautiful floral backing! (these are affiliate links)
Using these solids is a smart move for the beginner because the front and back are interchangeable. This drastically cuts down on piecing mistakes. Also, I am using these fabrics in the video so it would make it easier to follow along. And finally, Pure Solids are awesome for paper piecing because they have a tight weave with little give and press nice and flat!
I hope you are excited about this new design! It’s a new favorite of mine. It’s unique and fun to sew.
I started off using Coursecraft for this BOM but they just announced that they are closing. I will be hosting on my website instead.
To purchase the BOM without videos go here.
To purchase the BOM with supplementary videos, go here.